So, you have a new sign up to your newsletter subscriber list in Mailchimp or Campaign Monitor! Nicely done! Now, rather than sitting back and waiting for your next monthly newsletter, you can engage the new potential customer with a beautiful welcome email.
Is it worth sending a welcome email?
Keeping the engagement of newly signed up subscribers is very important, as a you need to use this time period to establish a bond with potential customers. This is the time when they have chosen to sign-up to receive content form you, so this is when they are most receptive and open to accept emails from as a regular feature of their inbox. Stats show that 74% of users expect a welcome email, that campaigns that use a welcome email are over 30% more successful and that the welcome email itself gives about 5 times the open rates than other promotional emails. This means a high value in using this opportunity to choose some important messages and call to actions to your potential customers.
How to build welcome emails in Campaign Monitor
In Campaign Monitor automatic emails are included in a great new system called Journeys. Within this system we have the options to program a series of timed emails sent out to specific users who are at specific stages of the journey path they are on. This path can be dependant on many factors, such options chosen in the signup process (which we will get into on another article) and you can time these emails based on delays between events.
To create the welcome email we will simply program an email to send out as soon as a user enters this new journey, and they will enter the journey as soon as they sign up to your newsletter.
- If you haven’t already – create a new subscriber list in the Lists & Subscribers section
- Navigate to Automation on the main navigation
- Select Create a new journey
- Name the Journey – something along the lines of New Sign-up
- Select the list from the dropdown
- Select Subscriber joins the list as the trigger and Save
- Click the plus symbol in the flowchart and choose Email
- Now click Define Email
- Enter a subject, From details and name the step Welcome Email
- Finally, choose the content template, add your content and save!
How to build welcome emails in Mailchimp
The flow described above is very similar to the process in MailChimps Automation paid feature. To setup this up as a feature, navigate over to Automation in Mailchimp. Again you will already need to have setup the template and the list, prior to doing this.
- Click the Create Automation Workflow button.
- Continue to the Emails step to add emails to your workflow.
- Click Design Email or Edit to design the emails in your workflow.
- Click Save & Close.
- Finish configuring your Automation workflow and click Start Workflow.
When the next person signs up on your list, they’ll receive your automated email or email series with linked files to download.